If wild blueberries aren’t part of your eating regimen, what are you waiting for? One way to battle the woes of the world and the stresses of life is to eat healthy and take care of one’s body. I love a delicious, nutritious smoothie, especially those that are easy to whip up in a few minutes. My two boys also love smoothies and often ask me to make one for breakfast or a snack.
I’ve always knows that berries of all types are full of antioxidants and other nutrients, but I didn’t realize wild blueberries were a superfruit and are healthier and more powerful than almost any other berry. My new favorite smoothie includes wild blueberries. They are absolutely scrumptious, so very tasty and extraordinarily healthy.
Wild Blueberry Facts
- Wild Blueberries have two times the antioxidant capacity than larger cultivated blueberries
- Consuming Wild Blueberries promotes gut, heart and brain health and can protect the body against diabetes and cancer
- Wild Blueberries are smaller than typical blueberries with a complex and delicious flavor
- Wild Blueberry plants are more genetically diverse with thousands of interlocking plants spreading and interlocking over thousands of years; this diversity is what gives them such a deep rich flavor
- 99% of the Wild Blueberry crop is frozen fresh at harvest, which locks in their nutrition and taste
- Wild blueberries are called “wild” because they are not planted like traditional blueberry crops; they have occurred naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada for 10,000 years
- The retail price for a 15-oz bag is only $3.59. A 3-lb bag retails for about $10.
*These facts are based on research conducted by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America (WBANA). WBANA is dedicated to bringing Wild Blueberry health story and unique advantages of this fruit to consumers worldwide.
- 1/2 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain)
- 1 cup almond milk (or any type of milk)
- 4 or 5 cubes of ice
- *Optional: 1 scoop protein power (either vanilla or original flavor)
- Combine all ingredients and blend either with an immersion blender or in a traditional blender
- Drink immediately
Wild blueberries were once hard to find in stores, but they are getting more mainstream. You can see which stores carry them in your state by clicking here. Wyman’s of Maine is a popular brand (see the bag below), and I found them at our local Food Lion. I also really enjoy the Trader Joe’s brand. If you’re a a bit of a health nut like me and love learning about nutrition, try wild blueberries if you haven’t before. Further, treat the kiddos or other members of your family to this delicious healthy smoothie. Enjoy!