Granola is one of my favorite items to make from scratch. I’ve never been able to find a granola in the stores I enjoy. Commercial brands are either overly sweet or have too many carbohydrates. Years ago, a friend shared her homemade granola recipe with me, and I’ve tweaked it along the way to create my own version. This delicious quick and easy homemade granola recipe makes a huge batch, perfect to share with friends and family.
During a chaotic weekday morning, a healthy breakfast is sometimes hard to come by. In the past, I’ve skipped it all together or merely eaten a bar on the way to work or once I got to my desk. About a year ago, I remembered this recipe and decided to start making batches so I would have something healthy and delicious to eat throughout the week. Furthermore, I’m currently training for a triathlon and this type of dish offers significant energy and nutrition during peak times of fitness. Below is the recipe. It’s truly very simple to make and also a fun recipe to bake with kids. Even the youngest of children can help measure, pour and mix.
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup olive oil (I use a little less)
- 1/2 cup local honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Stir together dry ingredients, set aside
- Whisk together olive oil and honey
- Mix everything together until dry ingredients are coated with wet mixture
- Pour onto a baking sheet (I lightly grease the baking sheet by putting a small amt. of oil on a paper towel and rubbing down the pan)
- Cook for a total of 25-30 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven (stir every 10 min.)
- Let granola cool completely, store in Mason jars or some other type of tightly-sealed container
As you can see, this is a very simple recipe everyone in the family can enjoy. At Christmas, I packaged granola and gave as gifts. I also sometimes take it to work to share with co-workers. Once your granola cools, sprinkle it on a little yogurt, top with fresh fruit and enjoy!