One of my favorite things about summer is simple and inexpensive access to fresh fruits and vegetables. And one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast are homemade blueberry muffins. This is the peak of blueberry season, so why not take advantage and try out some new muffin recipes with this scrumptious berry?
I’ve never been much of a baker, but I love homemade blueberry muffins. I decided this summer I was going to experiment with a few muffin recipes until I found one that was a winner. I’m not a huge fan of white sugar or white flour, but then again, my boys won’t eat something unless it’s tasty, so I have to be careful not to make my baked goods taste like cardboard in an attempt to make them nutritious.
I have finally found a healthy muffin recipe that’s a hit with the entire family, and I couldn’t be more excited. The only problem is now I have to think about moderation. These muffins are so good, I could eat three of them at once. Isn’t that always the problem with tasty dishes? I encourage you to try this homemade blueberry muffin recipe. If you do have gluten or dairy allergies, I’m sure you can substitute different flours and milks for the traditionally used.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (table salt, not sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you don't really need this if you use vanilla yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup blueberries (or another type of fruit)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grease 12-tin muffin pan with butter (or use muffin liners)
- Mix dry ingredients, whisk together, set aside
- Whisk together wet ingredients
- Fold wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredients and mix until blended
- Fold in fruit
- Separate mixture evenly among the 12 muffin tins
- Bake for 10 minutes (decrease heat to 375 halfway through)
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins
I hope you like these homemade blueberry muffins as much as we do. You can savor them even more knowing their full of healthy ingredients. Enjoy the delicious blueberries of summer and have fun baking!