Are you a mom or dad who either eats barely anything at all or handfuls of food from the pantry or your child’s plate? Yea well, that’s typically me. When I was teaching full-time, I was great about packing a healthy lunch for everyone, but now that I work from home, my lunches are much less of a priority than the boys’. After several months of just eating cheese and crackers or nothing, I started prepping produce on Mondays so I can easily make salads throughout the week. When I do this, I have more energy and eat smaller portions at dinner because I haven’t been fasting all day.
I love kale, but it’s too hard to chew when completely raw. Instead of eating raw kale salads, I sauté a big bag of kale and refrigerate it in a glass bowl with a lid. That way, whenever I want a salad, I can throw some kale in a salad then add the toppings and dressing. Voila! A healthy lunch. Today I’m sharing my very favorite kale salad. With strawberries and avocados in season right now in various locales, this is a perfect time to make this dish.
- Sautéed kale
- One avocado (ripe but not squishy)
- One cup of fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Homemade balsamic vinaigrette (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a deep skillet, heat olive oil over low-to medium heat
- Once oil is hot, add half a bag of washed kale, toss with tongs consistently because it cooks relatively quickly (sprinkle some sea salt while tossing)
- Once kale is sautéed, transfer to a glass or ceramic bowl and let cook before refrigerating
- When kale is cooled, add the desired amount to a bowl
- Top with sliced avocado, sliced strawberries, almonds, and Parmesan cheese
- Toss with your desired amount of homemade balsamic vinaigrette, salt, and pepper